Books to Read!
- Angelina Ballerina by Katharine Holabird
- Bats in the Band by Brian Lies
- Ben's Trumpet by Rachel Isadora
- Berlioz the Bear by Jan Brett
- Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle
- Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae
- Meet the Orchestra by Ann Hayes
- Olivia Forms a Band by Ian Falconer
- Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman
- Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs by Alan Katz
- Tito Puente, Mambo King by Monica Brown
- The Wheels on the Bus by Paul O. Zelinsky
- When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss
Check out Festivals and Events happening in July around the state. Lots of communities in South Carolina have a 4th of July or Independence Day festival!
Read & Rhyme
Try out these alternative words for the song A-B-C, 1-2-3 by the Tokens
(You can sing the fun words together: Dilly dilly dum dum dum dum dilly dilly Don’t forget to clap your hands and even do the twist!)
I’ll Read To You And You Read To Me
Books Give You Wings; They’re A Bit Of Heaven
Books Give You Roots That Reach For The Sun
Hooray We’re Going To The Library Today
Born in Cheraw, Jazz king Dizzy Gillespie is one of South Carolina’s most famous artists. This founder of modern jazz was an innovative trumpeter known for his bent horn, bulging cheeks, and sense of humor. The town of Cheraw on the anniversary of his 85th birthday dedicated a seven-foot bronze statue designed by Ed Dwight of Gillespie playing his trademark bent horn on the Town Green. The inscriptions at the base highlight Gillespie’s extraordinary musical career. Gillespie's image is almost inseparable from his trademark trumpet whose bell was bent at a 45 degree angle rather than a traditional straight trumpet. You can see his equally famous B-flat trumpet in the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.
- Get Set4K.org: July - Check out this month by month guide to school readiness.
- Reading is Fundamental Monthly Activity Calendar: July - This monthly activity calendar provides engaging reading and writing activity suggestions to last a month! (Also available in Spanish)